SALARY: $36,009.05 – $37,832.01 Annually
JOB TYPE: Classified
DEPARTMENT: Office of the Lieutenant Governor STTI
LOCATION: St.Thomas/ St. John, VI
JOB NUMBER: 201903746
OPENING DATE: 07/14/2023
CLOSING DATE: 7/28/2023 11:59 PM Atlantic (Canada)
This is an entry-level position with the primary responsibility for collecting delinquent real property taxes. An employee in thisclass also assists in the research and preparation of Tax Certification Letters and documentation supporting the sale of properties for delinquent real property taxes.
Duties and Responsibilities
DUTIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Researches real property tax records using the Financial Management System (FMS). tax rolls and Tax Assessor records to determine a property’s tax status.
- Calculates the taxes, interests and penalties due for delinquent real property taxes.
- Contacts taxpayers by phone or mail to collect delinquent real property
- Collects real property tax payments and validates
- Prepares Tax Clearance Letters certifying that all property taxes due have been
- Prepares reports on collection activity and status of uncollected accounts in
- Performs other related duties, as
High School Diploma or its equivalent.
NECESSARY SPECIAL QUALIFICATION
Candidate in this position must obtain, from an accredited institution, three (3) accounting credits within twelve (12) months on theJob.
FACTOR 1 – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the I. Code.
- Knowledge of basic accounting
- Basic mathematics skills.
- Basic computer
- Ablllty to research
- Ability to read and write
- Effective communication skllls, both written and
- Ability to deal effectively with all persons contacted during the course of
FACTOR 2 – SUPERVISORY CONTROLS
The supervisor gives specific work assignments, and reviews it upon completion.
FACTOR 3 – GUIDELINES
V.I. Code and court decisions/judgments and Attorney General opinions as related to the collection of real property taxes and the sale of properties due to delinquencies.
Department of Finance Rules, Regulations and Procedures.
FACTOR 4 – COMPLEXITY
The employee performs a range of duties within the scope of the departmental policies and methods established for the position.
FACTOR 5 – SCOPE AND EFFECT
To effectively collect delinquent real property taxes and assist In the sale of properties with uncollected tax obligations for the purpose of reducing the V.I. Government ‘s receivables.
FACTOR 6 – PERSONAL CONTACTS
Taxpayers, private attorneys and employees within the Department of Finance and outside agencies.
FACTOR 7 – PURPOSE OF CONTACTS
To inform taxpayers of their delinquent real property tax status, collect the outstanding taxes and obtain and/or exchange Information relative to real property tax issues.
FACTOR 8 – PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Moderate to heavy physical effort, which includes lifting boxes and tax log books.
Work is performed In an air-conditioned office setting.
Government of the Virgin Islands
United States, Territorywide, U.S. Virgin Islands , 00802